On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM, Anish Bhatt <an...@chelsio.com> wrote:
> Do the minimum driver features listed here
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder#Minimum_Driver_Features  still hold
> if I’m trying to add support for something that is a drop in replacement for
> iet/tgt that has no volume support. Does this still need to shipped as a
> driver plugin ?
>

> If the volume support stuff is a hard requirement, is it acceptable to reuse
> the LVM backend already shipped with cinder (or brick, though I’m not a 100%
> sure of the brick-cinder separation). Are there any examples of this
> available at all ?
>
> -Anish
>

> One socket to bind them all.

Hi Anish,

No IMO those requirements are specific for Backend Storage Devices and
the drivers submitted for them.  Target Helpers are a different
category.  That being said, I've been trying to get us away from the
current model we have of the Target Helper/Driver inheritance.  We
almost had this in Juno but it was very late in the release and I
wasn't comfortable releasing it right before RC.

Since then a number of changes have gone in and I've had to do some
rework of it.  You can get an idea of the direction I'm hoping to go
here [1].  If you have a new Target Helper you'd like to submit it
would be great if you took a look at this model going forward, it
should make life a good bit easier for you.  Feel free to grab me on
IRC and maybe I can just roll your addition into the work I've got in
progress already.

Note that the follow up patch that actually separates the Target from
the Volume Driver has been abandoned and I'm going to need to rewrite
it.

Thanks,
John

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/131860/