On 19/11/14 15:21 +0800, henry hly wrote:
In the Previous BP [1], support for iscsi backend is introduced into
glance. However, it was abandoned because of Cinder backend
replacement.

The reason is that all storage backend details should be hidden by
cinder, not exposed to other projects. However, with more and more
interest in "Converged Storage" like Ceph, it's necessary to expose
storage backend to glance as well as cinder.

An example  is that when transferring bits between volume and image,
we can utilize advanced storage offload capability like linked clone
to do very fast instant copy. Maybe we need a more general glance
backend location support not only with iscsi.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/iscsi-backend-store

Hey Henry,

This blueprint has been superseeded by one proposing a Cinder store
for Glance. The Cinder store is, unfortunately, in a sorry state.
Short story, it's not fully implemented.

I truly think Glance is not the place where you'd have an iscsi store,
that's Cinder's field and the best way to achieve what you want is by
having a fully implemented Cinder store that doesn't rely on Cinder's
API but has access to the volumes.

Unfortunately, this is not possible now and I don't think it'll be
possible until L (or even M?).

FWIW, I think the use case you've mentioned is useful and it's
something we have in our TODO list.

Cheers,
Flavio

--