> On Nov 21, 2014, at 8:07 PM, Mike Bayer <mba...@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 21, 2014, at 7:35 PM, Kevin Benton <blak...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:blak...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> This is great! I'm not sure if you have been following some of the
>> discussion about the separation of vendor drivers in Neutron, but one of the
>> things we decided was to leave the vendor data models in the main repo so we
>> have a nice linear migration.
>> It looks like branching support may solve our problem. However, looking
>> through the docs I didn't notice anything about where the migration
>> definitions need to live. Can migrations be sourced from multiple locations
>> easily?
>
> that’s another TODO, which is
> https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/alembic/issue/124/multiple-versions-directories
> <https://bitbucket.org/zzzeek/alembic/issue/124/multiple-versions-directories>.
>    Skip down to the bottom comments as for the longest time I wasn’t really
> getting how this would work b.c. the multiple branch thing wasn’t in place.

OK, sleeping on this I thought more deeply about the “multiple,
semi-independent roots” case and thought of a few more glitches, so I got fixes
in for those today and I implemented #124 as well.  Another new concept,
“depends_on”, is added to the system to accommodate the case where independent
roots need to refer to each other as dependencies, but not as “merge points”.
I think this might work really well, so far it seems that way.

As the one-page docs have gotten super-long I’ve broken them out; a revised
section that goes into how to use multiple roots and file directories now
starts at
http://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/branches.html#working-with-multiple-bases

<http://alembic.readthedocs.org/en/latest/branches.html#working-with-multiple-bases>.