On 11/26/2014 04:24 PM, Mike Bayer wrote:
Precisely. Why is the RDBMS the thing that is used for
archival/audit logging? Why not a NoSQL store or a centralized log
facility? All that would be needed would be for us to standardize
on the format of the archival record, standardize on the things to
provide with the archival record (for instance system metadata,
etc), and then write a simple module that would write an archival
record to some backend data store.

Then we could rid ourselves of the awfulness of the shadow tables
and all of the read_deleted=yes crap.

+1000 - if we’re really looking to “do this right”, as the original
message suggested, this would be “right”.  If you don’t need these
rows in the app (and it would be very nice if you didn’t), dump it
out to an archive file / non-relational datastore.   As mentioned
elsewhere, this is entirely acceptable for organizations that are
“obliged” to store records for auditing purposes.   Nova even already
has a dictionary format for everything set up with nova objects, so
dumping these dictionaries out as JSON would be the way to go.

OK, spec added:

https://review.openstack.org/137669

Best,
-jay