----- Original Message -----
> From: "Danny Choi (dannchoi)" <dannc...@cisco.com>
> To: openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> Though both interfaces come up, only one will response to the ping from the
> neutron router.
> When I disable it, then the second one will response to ping.
> So it looks like only one interface is useful at a time.
>
> My question is is there any useful case for this, I.e. Why would you do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Danny

The rationale is given in the spec
(http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/juno/implemented/nfv-multiple-if-1-net.html)
 as:

"""
NFV functions occasionally require multiple interfaces to be attached to a
single network from the same VM, for reasons described below in the ‘use cases’
section. When this is required, the VNF generally cannot be used under
Openstack.

VNFs are often large, complex pieces of code, and may be supplied by third
parties. For various reasons, it is not uncommon that it is necessary to feed
traffic out of an interface and into another interface (when the VNF implements
multiple functions and the functions cannot be chained internally) or to feed
traffic from e.g. the internet into multiple interfaces to run them through
separate processing functions internally.

The limitation can be seen as one of the VNF. Clearly, the VNF could be changed
to put multiple addresses or functions on a single port (to fix the incoming
traffic issue) or to connect functions internally (to fix the passthrough
problem.

The problem with this solution is that the timescale for getting such a fix is
often prohibitive. VNFs are large, complex pieces of code, and often the
supplier of the VNF is not the same organisation as that trying to use the VNF
within Openstack, necessitating a feature change request which may well not be
possible within reasonable timescales.

We propose changing the code within Nova to remove this limitation.
"""

-Steve