On 12/09/2014 03:54 PM, Ken'ichi Ohmichi wrote:
Hi,

This case is always tested by Tempest on the gate.

https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tempest/api/compute/servers/test_delete_server.py#L152

So I guess this problem wouldn't happen on the latest version at least.

Thanks
Ken'ichi Ohmichi

---

On Sat, Dec 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Danny Choi (dannchoi) <dannc...@cisco.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I have a VM which is in ERROR state.

+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+--------+------------+-------------+--------------------+

| ID                                   | Name
| Status | Task State | Power State | Networks           |

+--------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------+--------+------------+-------------+--------------------+

| 1cb5bf96-619c-4174-baae-dd0d8c3d40c5 |
cirros--1cb5bf96-619c-4174-baae-dd0d8c3d40c5 | ERROR  | -          | NOSTATE
|                    |

I tried in both CLI “nova delete” and Horizon “terminate instance”.
Both accepted the delete command without any error.
However, the VM never got deleted.

Is there a way to remove the VM?

What version of nova are you using? This is definitely a serious bug, you
should be able to delete an instance in error state. Can you file a bug that
includes steps on how to reproduce the bug along with all relevant logs.

bugs.launchpad.net/nova

Thanks,
Danny

Hi,

I've encountered this in my own testing and have found that it appears to be tied to libvirt.

When I hit this, reset-state as the admin user reports success (and state is set), *but* things aren't really working as advertised and subsequent attempts to do anything with the errant vm's will send them right back into 'FLAIL' / can't delete / endless DELETING mode.

restarting libvirt-bin on my machine fixes this - after restart, the deleting vm's are properly wiped without any further user input to nova/horizon and all seems right in the world.

using:
devstack
ubuntu 14.04
libvirtd (libvirt) 1.2.2

triggered via:
lots of random create/reboot/resize/delete requests of varying validity and sanity.

Am in the process of cleaning up my test code so as not to hurt anyone's brain with the ugly and will file a bug once done, but thought this worth sharing.

Thanks,
Patrick