Mike,

I'm not even sure that your solution works without being able to bind
a router HA port to several hosts.
What's happening currently is that you :

1.create the router on two l3agent.
2. those l3agent trigger the sync_router() on the l3plugin.
3. l3plugin.sync_routers() will trigger l2plugin.update_port(host=l3agent).
4. ML2 will bind the port to the host mentioned in the last update_port().

>From a l2pop perspective, this will result in creating only one tunnel
to the host lastly specified.
I can't find any code that forces that only the master router binds
its router port. So we don't even know if the host which binds the
router port is hosting the master router or the slave one, and so if
l2pop is creating the tunnel to the master or to the slave.

Can you confirm that the above sequence is correct? or am I missing something?

Without the capacity to bind a port to several hosts, l2pop won't be
able to create tunnel correctly, that's the reason why I was saying
that a prerequisite for a smart solution would be to first fix the bug
:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1367391

DVR Had the same issue. Their workaround was to create a new
port_binding tables, that manages the capacity for one DVR port to be
bound to several host.
As mentioned in the bug 1367391, this adding a technical debt in ML2,
which has to be tackle down in priority from my POV.