On 01/14/2015 08:40 PM, Ian Cordasco wrote:
The point was brought up that some recommendations that the working group
forms will be jarring for APIs to implement when going from vN.* to vN+1.0
for both developers and consumers. Client libraries often provide
compatibility (or upgrade-path) versions to help bridge the gap between
going from vN.* to vN+1.0. As a group, we’re looking for feedback from the
developers on the following topics:

- Does this seem preferable?

i think it's a really nice idea to have some sort of guidelines to assist with the development of compatibility version. i know i would use it =)

- Does it sound reasonable and maintainable?

good question, my fear would be that we would start strong but fade once more than a few versions were published. having a clear procedure for updating and maintaining the guidelines might help.

- Does it seem reasonable as a way of improving user experience and
upgradability?

for me, yes.

If you have a positive feeling for this idea, there are a couple