On 2/2/2015 11:46 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
This came up in the operators mailing list back in June [1] but given
the subject probably didn't get much attention.

Basically there is a really old bug [2] from Grizzly that is still a
problem and affects multiple projects.  A tenant can be deleted in
Keystone even though other resources in other projects are under that
project, and those resources aren't cleaned up.

Keystone implemented event notifications back in Havana [3] but the
other projects aren't listening on them to know when a project has been
deleted and act accordingly.

The bug has several people saying "we should talk about this at the
summit" for several summits, but I can't find any discussion or summit
sessions related back to the bug.

Given this is an operations and cross-project issue, I'd like to bring
it up again for the Vancouver summit if there is still interest (which
I'm assuming there is from operators).

There is a blueprint specifically for the tenant deletion case but it's
targeted at only Horizon [4].

Is anyone still working on this? Is there sufficient interest in a
cross-project session at the L summit?

Thinking out loud, even if nova doesn't listen to events from keystone,
we could at least have a periodic task that looks for instances where
the tenant no longer exists in keystone and then take some action (log a
warning, shutdown/archive/, reap, etc).

There is also a spec for L to transfer instance ownership [5] which
could maybe come into play, but I wouldn't depend on it.

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-operators/2014-June/004559.html

[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/967832
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/notifications
[4] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/tenant-deletion
[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/105367/

I will apologize ahead of time for saying 'projects' for services like nova, glance, cinder, etc, while also talking about projects/tenants in keystone, I realize this is confusing. :)

Matt Riedemann