On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 11:19:45AM -0500, Andrew Laski wrote:
On Sun, Feb 01, 2015 at 11:20:08AM -0800, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up, Daniel.  I don't think it makes sense to have
a timeout on live migration, but operators should be able to cancel it,
just like any other unbounded long-running process.  For example, there's
no timeout on file transfers, but they need an interface report progress
and to cancel them.  That would imply an option to cancel evacuation too.
There has been periodic talk about a generic "tasks API" in Nova for managing
long running operations and getting information about their progress, but I
am not sure what the status of that is. It would obviously be applicable to
migration if that's a route we took.
Currently the status of a tasks API is that it would happen after the API
v2.1 microversions work has created a suitable framework in which to add
tasks to the API.
So is all work on tasks blocked by the microversions support ? I would have
though that would only block places where we need to modify existing APIs.
Are we not able to add APIs for listing / cancelling tasks as new APIs
without such a dependency on microversions ?

Tasks work is certainly not blocked on waiting for microversions. There is a large amount of non API facing work that could be done to move forward the idea of a task driving state changes within Nova. I would very likely be working on that if I wasn't currently spending much of my time on cells v2.

Regards,
Daniel