From: Angus Salkeld <asalkeld@...
<http://gmane.org/get-address.php?address=asalkeld%2dnYU0QVwCCFFWk0Htik3J%2fw%40public.gmane.org>>
Subject: Re: Filtering by metadata values
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=CAA16xczDTXGZp%5feEbdWGkjxtrXy2Et6t3gPo%3d8h308eYPFznOg%40mail.gmail.com>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.cloud.openstack.devel
<http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cloud.openstack.devel>
Date: 2015-02-11 03:03:26 GMT (1 hour and 19 minutes ago)

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Miguel Grinberg <miguel.grinberg <at>
gmail.com <mailto:miguel.grinberg-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org>>
wrote:
Hi,

We had a discussion yesterday on the Heat channel regarding patterns for
searching or filtering entities by its metadata values. This is in relation to
a feature that is currently being implemented in Heat called “Stack Tags”.

The idea is that Heat stack lists can be filtered by these tags, so for
example, any stacks that you don’t want to see you can tag as “hidden”, then
when you request a stack list you can specify that you only want stacks that do
not have the “hidden” tag.

Some background, the author initially just asked for a field "hidden". But it
seemed like there were many more use cases that could be fulfilled by having
a generic "tags" on the stack REST resource. This is really nice feature from
UI perspective.

We were trying to find other similar usages of tags and/or metadata within
OpenStack projects, where these are not only stored as data, but are also used
in database queries for filtering. A quick search revealed nothing, which is
surprising.

I have spotted nova's instance tags that look like the kinda beast we are after:
  -  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/tag-instances
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/tag-instances>
  -  https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/tag-instances,n,z
<https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/tag-instances,n,z>

Is there anything I may have missed? I would like to know if there anything
even remotely similar, so that we don’t build a new wheel if one already exists
for this.

So we wanted to bring this up as there is a API WG and the concept of tags and
filtering should be consistent
and we don't want to run off and do something that the WG really doesn't like.

But it looks like this needs a bit more fleshing out:

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/pagination_filter_sort.html#filtering

<http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/pagination_filter_sort.html#filtering>

Should we just follow nova's instance tags, given the lack of definition in
api-wg?

Regards
Angus

Thanks,