In the most recent Defcore committee meeting we discussed the need for a
repository to host artifacts related to the Defcore process[1]. These artifacts
will include documentation of the Defcore process, lists of advisory and
required capabilities for releases, and useful tools and instructions for
configuring and testing clouds against the capability lists.

One of our goals is increased community awareness and participation around the
process, and we feel that a Gerrit backed repository helps to achieve this goal
by providing a well understood mechanism for community members to comment on
policies and capabilities before they are merged. For members of the community
who aren’t familiar with the Gerrit workflow, I would be more than happy to
help them out with understanding the process or acting as a proxy for their
comments and concerns.

We're proposing to host the repository at openstack/defcore, as this is work
being done by a board-backed committee with cross cutting concerns for all
OpenStack projects. All projects are owned by some parent organization within
the OpenStack community. One possiblility for ownership that we considered was
the Technical Committee, with precedent set by the ownership of the API Working
Group repository[2]. However, we felt that there is a need to allow for
projects that are owned by the Board, and are also proposing a new Board
ownership group.

The core reviewers of the repository will be the Defcore Committee co-chairs,
with additional core members added at the discretion of board members leading
the committee.

In the coming weeks we're going to be working hard on defining new capabilities
for the Icehouse, Juno, and future releases. We're looking forward to meeting
with the developer and operator community to help define the new capabilities
with an eye towards interoperability across the entire OpenStack ecosystem. The
creation of this repository is an important step in that direction.

Thanks,
Chris Hoge
Interop Engineer
OpenStack Foundation