On 02/13/2015 05:58 PM, Jake Kugel wrote:
Hi,

this might be a dumb question, is it possible to have a stand-alone Manila
service that could be used by clients outside of a specific OpenStack
cloud?  For example, a shared Manila service that VMs in two clouds could
both use?

We've tried to design Manila to not have any hard dependencies on any OpenStack services (except for keystone). The use case is exactly what you suggest -- people should be able to use Manila outside of the cloud if they wish.

I am guessing that there would be two drawbacks to this scenario -- (1)
users would need two keystone credentials - a keystone credential in the
cloud hosting their VM, and then a keystone credential that is used with
the stand-alone Manila service to create a share.  And (2), the shared
Manila service wouldn't be able to isolate network traffic for a
particular tenant - all users of the service would share the same network.
  Do these capture the problems with it?

Possibly yes. I would like to think it would be possible to use 1 keystone for both purposes, but I'm not expert on keystone I'm not familiar with what you're trying to do.

Regarding isolation of network traffic, Manila doesn't actually do that for you. What Manila does is allows you to create per-tenant share servers and connect them to various per-tenant network, assuming the networks are already segmented by something else. That something else doesn't have to be neutron or a cloud, necessarily. As the code is written today, the segmentation is assumed to be either neutron or nova-network based, but it shouldn't be terribly hard to add something else in the future.

Thanks,
Jake