On February 15, 2015 at 3:54:24 PM, Thomas Goirand (z...@debian.org) wrote:

On 02/16/2015 12:24 AM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
> So, let me just say that while I do not have a timeline on the removal
> of auth fragments, since it is deprecated assume that this should no
> longer be used if there is an alternative (which there is). I am willing
> to continue with the discussion on reversing course, but consider the
> deprecation notice the “far in advance” warning that they are going away
> (isn’t that what deprecation is?).
>
> —Morgan

Well, the thing is, I'd like to write some code to actually *remove* the
auth fragments from configuration files openstack-pkg-tools will see,
when that support will actually be removed upstream. Until then, it
isn't nice to do this maintenance work if an admin is using it (despite
the deprecation).

So yes, if we really are to remove it (which again, I'd prefer not to
happen), then I would need a more specific time-frame. No, the actual
message of deprecation isn't helpful enough for me to decide when to
implement the switch, especially considering that it's been 2 cycles
we're seeing it, and no feature removal happened.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

I just discussed this in IRC with Thomas (a bit faster than back-and-forth via
email), and the following things came out of the conversation (context for
those playing along at home via the ML and not in the IRC channels):

* The auth fragments should not be used if it is possible to use the new form
(based upon the path taken today).

* There is no concrete timeline for removing the use of the auth fragments. For
compatibility reasons, there are still other topics to discuss prior to
removing deprecated items such as the auth fragments.

* If the auth fragment mode is significantly better than the direction we are
headed, it is possible to consider undeprecating the auth fragment
configuration. Discussion pertaining to reversing this direction is something
we should continue both on the ML and during meetings (as we explore the best
approach to handle these types of deprecations).

Cheers,
—Morgan