On 02/20/2015 06:14 AM, Ganapathy, Sandhya wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to discuss the Chassis Discovery Tool Blueprint -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/134866/

The blueprint suggests Hardware enrollment and introspection for
properties at the Chassis layer. Suitable for micro-servers that have an
active chassis to query for details.

Initially, the idea was proposed as an API change at the Ironic layer.
We found many complexities such as interaction with conductor and the
point of nodes in a chassis being mapped to different conductors.

So, decision was taken to keep it as a separate tool above the Ironic
API layer.  It is a generic tool that can be plugged in for specific
hardware.

I'll reiterate over my points:

0. /tool directory is a no-go, we have development tooling there. We won't run tests from there, distributions won't package it, etc.

So valid options are:

1. create a driver vendor passthru, not sure why you want to care about node mapping here

2. create a new proper CLI. this does not feel right to create too specific tool (which will actually be vendor-specific for a long time or forever)

3. create a new repo (ironic-extras?) for cool tools for Ironic. that's the way we went with ironic-discoverd, and that's my vote if you can't create a vendor passthru.

I see Ironic as a bare metal API, not just set of tools, so that e.g. every feature added to Ironic can be consumed from UI. If it should be a tool I see no reason for Ironic core team to start handling it (we have enough reviews honestly :).

Dmitry.

There are different opinions from the community on this and it will be
good to come to a consensus.

I have also added the topic as an agenda in the Ironic IRC meeting.

Thanks,

Sandhya