Kyle, What happened to the long-term potential goal of ML2 driver APIs becoming neutron's core APIs? Do we really want to encourage new monolithic plugins?

ML2 is not a control plane - its really just an integration point for control planes. Although co-existence of multiple mechanism drivers is possible, and sometimes very useful, the single-driver case is fully supported. Even with hierarchical bindings, its not really ML2 that controls what happens - its the drivers within the framework. I don't think ML2 really limits what drivers can do, as long as a virtual network can be described as a set of static and possibly dynamic network segments. ML2 is intended to impose as few constraints on drivers as possible.

My recommendation would be to implement an ML2 mechanism driver for OVN, along with any needed new type drivers or extension drivers. I believe this will result in a lot less new code to write and maintain.

Also, keep in mind that even if multiple driver co-existence doesn't sound immediately useful, there are several potential use cases to consider. One is that it allows new technology to be introduced into an existing cloud alongside what previously existed. Migration from one ML2 driver to another may be a lot simpler (and/or flexible) than migration from one plugin to another. Another is that additional drivers can support special cases, such as bare metal, appliances, etc..

-Bob