On Thursday, 26 de February de 2015 at 7:48, Miguel Ángel Ajo wrote:
> [...]
> by the way we use to handle OF rules in the bridge:
>
>    * via OpenFlow, making the agent a “real" OF controller, with the current
> effort to use
>       the ryu framework plugin to do that.
>    * via cmdline (would be alleviated with the current rootwrap work, but the
> former one
>      would be preferred).
>
> Also, ipset groups can be moved into conjunctive groups in OF (thanks Ben
> Pfaff for the
> explanation, if you’re reading this ;-))
>
> Best,
> Miguel Ángel
>

> On Wednesday, 25 de February de 2015 at 20:34, Tapio Tallgren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The RFC2544 with near zero packet loss is a pretty standard performance
> > benchmark. It is also used in the OPNFV project
> > (https://wiki.opnfv.org/characterize_vswitch_performance_for_telco_nfv_use_cases).
> >
> > Does this mean that OpenStack will have stateful firewalls (or security
> > groups)? Any other ideas planned, like ebtables type filtering?
> >
> What I am proposing is in the terms of maintaining the statefulness we have
> now
> regards security groups (RELATED/ESTABLISHED connections are allowed back
> on open ports) while adding a new firewall driver working only with OVS+OF
> (no iptables
> or linux bridge).
>
> That will be possible (without auto-populating OF rules in oposite
> directions) due to
> the new connection tracker functionality to be eventually merged into ovs.
>
> > -Tapio
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Rick Jones <rick.jon...@hp.com
> > (mailto:rick.jon...@hp.com)> wrote:

> > > Conditions to be benchmarked
> > >
> > >     Initial connection establishment time
> > >     Max throughput on the same CPU
> > >
> > > Large MTUs and stateless offloads can mask a multitude of path-length
> > > sins.  And there is a great deal more to performance than Mbit/s. While
> > > some of that may be covered by the first item via the likes of say
> > > netperf TCP_CRR or TCP_CC testing, I would suggest that in addition to a
> > > focus on Mbit/s (which I assume is the focus of the second item) there is
> > > something for packet per second performance.  Something like netperf
> > > TCP_RR and perhaps aggregate TCP_RR or UDP_RR testing.
> > >
> > > Doesn't have to be netperf, that is simply the hammer I wield :)
> > >
> > > What follows may be a bit of perfect being the enemy of the good, or
> > > mission creep...
> > >
> > > On the same CPU would certainly simplify things, but it will almost
> > > certainly exhibit different processor data cache behaviour than actually
> > > going through a physical network with a multi-core system.  Physical NICs
> > > will possibly (probably?) have RSS going, which may cause cache lines to
> > > be pulled around.  The way packets will be buffered will differ as well.
> > > Etc etc.  How well the different solutions scale with cores is definitely
> > > a difference of interest between the two sofware layers.

Hi rick, thanks for your feedback here, I’ll take it into consideration,
specially about the small packet pps measurements, and
really using physical hosts.

Although I may start with an AIO setup for simplicity, we should
get more conclusive results from at least two hosts and decent NICs.

I will put all this together in the document, and loop you in for review.