Hello world

I recently created a VXLAN test setup with single-NIC compute nodes (using OpenStack Juno on Fedora 20), conciously ignoring the OpenStack advice of using nodes with at least 2 NICs ;-) .

The fact that both native and encapsulated traffic needs to pass through the same NIC does create some interesting challenges, but finally I got it working cleanly, staying clear of MTU pitfalls ...

I documented my findings here:

[1] http://blog.systemathic.ch/2015/03/06/openstack-vxlan-with-single-nic-compute-nodes/ [2] http://blog.systemathic.ch/2015/03/05/openstack-mtu-pitfalls-with-tunnels/

For those interested in single-NIC setups, I'm curious what you think about [1] (a small patch is needed to add "VLAN awareness" to the qg-XXX Neutron gateway ports).

While catching up with Neutron changes for OpenStack Kilo, I came across the in-progress work on "MTU selection and advertisement":

[3] Spec: https://github.com/openstack/neutron-specs/blob/master/specs/kilo/mtu-selection-and-advertisement.rst
  [4]  Patch review:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/153733/
  [5]  Spec update:  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/159146/

Seems like [1] eliminates some additional MTU pitfalls that are not addressed by [3-5].

But I think it would be nice if we could achieve [1] while coordinating with the "MTU selection and advertisement" work [3-5].

Thoughts?

Cheers,
- Fredy

Fredy ("Freddie") Neeser