On 03/09/2015 08:48 PM, Li, Chen wrote:

Hello Manila,

I noticed there were some discussions about api extensions in the past few weeks.

Looks like nova has similar discussions too.

“Each extension gets a version”, if my understanding about the api extension discussion purpose is correct.

Not sure if you already known it or not.

I wasn't aware of this, and it is relevant, so thanks for pointing it out. I'm still not decided on what approach would be best for Manila. I have experience dealing with API compatibility issues from other projects and I think the main thing want to avoid is supporting too many versions at the same time. There will be cases where supporting 2 versions in parallel will be needed, but I'd prefer never to need more than 2. I'm not sure the Nova proposal helps towards that end.

I’m no expert here, so just FYI:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/ProposalForAPIMicroVersions

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046482.html

They have some discussions about where/how to add the new API functionality recently:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-March/058493.html

Thanks.

-chen