On 03/10/2015 11:45 AM, Omkar Joshi wrote:
Hi,

I am using open stack swift server. Now say multiple clients are
requesting 5GB object from server. The rate at which server can push
data into server socket is much more than the rate at which client can
read it from proxy server. Is there configuration / setting which we use
to control / cap the pending data on server side socket? Because
otherwise this will cause server to go out of memory.

The Linux networking stack will have a limit to the size of the SO_SNDBUF, which will limit how much the proxy server code will be able to shove into a given socket at one time. The Linux networking stack may "autotune" that setting if the proxy server code itself isn't making an explicit setsockopt(SO_SNDBUF) call. Such autotuning will be controlled via the sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_wmem

If the proxy server code does make an explicit setsockopt(SO_SNDBUF) call, that will be limited to no more than what is set in net.core.wmem_max.

But I am guessing you are asking about something different because virtually every TCP/IP stack going back to the beginning has had bounded socket buffers. Are you asking about something else? Are you asking about the rate at which data might come from the object server(s) to the proxy and need to be held on the proxy while it is sent-on to the clients?

rick