On 03/27/2015 01:40 PM, Steve Gordon wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Friesen" <chris.frie...@windriver.com>

So for the case where a customer really wants some functionality, and
wants it *soon* rather than waiting for it to get merged upstream, what is
the recommended implementation path for a vendor?

Well, before all else the key is to at least propose it in the community and
see what the appetite for it is. I think part of the problem here is that
we're still discussing this mostly in the abstract, although you provided
some high level examples in response to Sean the only link was to a review
that merged the same day it was proposed (albeit in 2012). I'm interested in
whether there is a specific proposal you can link to that you put forward in
the past and it wasn't accepted or was held up or whether you are working on
a preset assumption here?

Whoops...I had meant to link to "https://review.openstack.org/163060"; and managed to miss the last character. My bad. The API change I was talking about has now been split out to "https://review.openstack.org/168418";.

I haven't proposed any features (with spec/blueprint) for kilo or earlier. I'm planning on proposing some for the L release. (Some are already in for review, though I realize they're not going to get attention until Kilo is out.)

I may be making invalid assumptions about how long it takes to get things done, but if so it's coloured by past experience.

Some examples:

I proposed a one-line trivial change in April of last year and it took almost 2 months before anyone even looked at it.

I reported "https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1213224"; in 2013 and it hasn't been fixed.

I opened "https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1289064"; over a year ago, proposed a fix (which admittedly had flaws), then handed it off to someone else, then it bounced around a few other people and still isn't resolved.

I opened "https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1284719"; over a year ago and it's not yet resolved.

I opened "https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1298690"; a year ago and it hasn't been touched.

Chris