Excerpts from Gregory Haynes's message of 2015-04-16 02:50:17 +0000:
> Excerpts from Dan Prince's message of 2015-04-15 02:14:12 +0000:
> > I've been trying to cleanly model some Ceph and HA configurations in
> > tripleo-ci that use Puppet (we are quite close to having these things in
> > CI now!)
> >
> > Turns out the environment variables needed for these things are getting
> > to be quite a mess. Furthermore we'd actually need to add to the
> > environment variable madness to get it all working. And then there are
> > optimization we'd like to add (like building a single image instead of
> > one per role).
> >
> > One thing that would really help in this regard is splitting out image
> > building from devtest_overcloud.sh. I took a stab at some initial
> > patches to do this today.
> >
> > build-images: drive DIB via YAML config file
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173644/
> >
> > devtest_overcloud.sh: split out image building
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173645/
> >
> > If these sit well we could expand the effort to load images a bit more
> > dynamically (a load-images script which could also be driven via a
> > disk_images.yaml config file) and then I think devtest_overcloud.sh
> > would be a lot more flexible for us Puppet users.
> >
> > Thoughts? I still have some questions myself but I wanted to get this
> > out because we really do need some extra flexibility to be able to
> > cleanly tune our scripts for more CI jobs.
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Have you looked at possibly using infra's nodepool for this? It is a bit
> overkill, but currently nodepool lets you define a yaml file of images
> for it to build using dib. If were not ok with bringing in all the
> extras that nodepool has, maybe we could work on splitting out part of
> nodepool for our needs, and having both projects this.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Did some digging and looks like infra has some planned work for this
already[1]. This would be great for TripleO as well for the same reasons
that infra wants it.

I do get that you have a need for this today though and what i'm
describing is a ways out, so I am +1 on your current approach for now.

Cheers,
Greg

1:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/nodepool-workers.html