On 16/04/15 04:05, Anant Patil wrote:
Hi,

Sometime back we had a discussion on IRC regarding sqlite migration
scripts. Since sqlite is mostly used for testing, we were thinking
about moving the sqlite migration related code to tests folder and
keep the migrate_repo sane (with only production code). There was
utility class[1] added recently for helping with sqlite migrations
and there were questions on the location of that class. The utility
lives in heat/db/sqlalchemy folder and since it is used only for
testing, it should probably live somewhere in the tests folder (like
tests/migrate_repo? ) along with the sqlite migration scripts.

It would be better if we have a separate path for testing code and
depending on the configured DB back-end (for example, sqlite), we pass
the appropriate path (something like tests/migrate_repo for sqlite) to
oslo_migration.db_sync().

If it is okay to assume that sqlite is *always* used for testing, then
IMO, we should re-factor the migration scripts. Please help us with your
thoughts.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/heat/blob/master/heat/db/sqlalchemy/utils.py

- Anant

You're correct that we can assume SQLite is only used for tests.

However, I'm not convinced that we need to change the migration scripts... it's bad enough that we have to write two different migrations in many cases (and totally unclear to me how this is testing anything useful), but having to write them in two different places seems even worse.

I'd be more interested in seeing a change whereby we stop doing pointless migrations on an empty SQLite DB prior to testing and just generate it from the model. I think we can rely on the migration tests that run against the actual mariadb/postgresql clients to test the migrations themselves - we effectively already are in many cases.

cheers,
Zane.