Hi,

During the Juno and Kilo timeframes, there was an idea to use libvirt
storage pools for the Nova image backends.  I believe that the plan
back then was to deprecate image backend drivers that do not use
libvirt storage pools in Kilo and them remove them altogether in
Liberty.  Is this still the plan?

The reason I am asking is that we (StorPool) intend to submit a
blueprint and a spec for an image backend driver that keeps the images
as separate volumes in a StorPool distributed storage cluster, so that
"migrating" them between hypervisors is just a matter of detaching
them at one side and attaching them at the other.  This would also
play nice with the StorPool Cinder integration that will hopefully
make it back in during the Liberty timeframe, so creating the images
from StorPool volumes or snapshots will also be a breeze.

Now the question is, should we try to submit our work-in-progress on
an image driver that does not use libvirt pools, or should we focus on
the StorPool integration with libvirt so that when libvirt pools hit
Nova, the StorPool image backend driver will be greatly simplified and
pretty much only concern itself with using our volume/snapshot API for
"copying" data from Cinder volumes and snapshots?  In other words,
would it be reasonable to expect that Solly Ross's great work in the
use-libvirt-storage-pools Gerrit topic will make it into Liberty, or
should we submit a spec for a separate, Ceph-like image backend
driver?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and keep up the great work!

G'luck,
Peter