On 05/07/2015 03:31 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
On Thu, 2015-05-07 at 11:22 +0200, Giulio Fidente wrote:

[...]

I think the change is good, I am assuming we don't want the shared parts
to get duplicated into the two .pp though.

So again. Duplicating the puppet class includes doesn't bother me too
much. Some of the logic (perhaps the DB creation) should move over to
puppet-tripleo however. But I would like to see us not go crazy with the
composition layer... using the stackforge/puppet modules directly is
best I think.

but it is not only includes really, I understand we would like it to be so, but it isn't

eg, this would be duplicated, if not moved elsewhere:

https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/puppet/manifests/overcloud_controller.pp#L166-L227

this as well:

https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/blob/master/puppet/manifests/overcloud_controller.pp#L296-L333

and there are quite a lot of similar examples, the change from marios as well, ended up duplicating lots of code:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/180833/

Any conversion code in Puppet (functions using split, downcase, etc) I
view as technical debt which should ideally we would eventually be able
to convert within the Heat templates themselves into formats usable by
Hiera directly. Any duplication around that sort of thing would
eventually get cleaned up as Heat gets an extra function or two.

FWIW, I do agree with the longish-term plan, most of the duplicated code *should go away when some more string manipulation can be covered by heat* but I still think that will be some of it, not all and yet this isn't the case today (and I don't know when it will be honestly)

I think a split will still be worth some duplication when we will start supporting *multiple controllers without pacemaker* as well, today not so much

on the other hand, we can very well get rid of the ifs today by deploying *with* pacemaker in single node scenario as well! we already have EnablePacemaker always set to true for dev purposes, even on single node
--
Giulio Fidente
GPG KEY: 08D733BA