On 5/8/15 10:41 AM, Ronald Bradford wrote:
I guess I may have spoken too soon. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/PyMySQL_evaluation states " Oracle refuses to publish MySQL-connector-Python on Pypi, which is critical to the Openstack infrastructure".

I am unclear when this statement was made and who is involved in this discussion. As I have contacts in the MySQL engineering and Oracle Corporation product development teams I will endeavor to seek a more current and definitive response and statement.

I made that statement. I and others have been in contact for many months with Andrew Rist as well as Geert Vanderkelen regarding this issue without any result. We all preferred mysql-connector originally but as time has dragged on and I've sent a few messages to Andrew and others that Openstack is essentially going to give up on their driver to no result, we've all gotten more involved with PyMySQL, it has come out as the better driver overall. PyMySQL is written by the same author of the "mysqlclient" driver that it looks like we are all switching to regardless (Django has already recommended this to their userbase).

PyMySQL also has very straightforward source code, performs better in tests, and doesn't have weird decisions like deciding to make a huge backwards-incompatible change to return bytearrays and not bytes in Py3K raw mode (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/connector-python/en/news-2-0-0.html).

PyMySQL also is easily accessible as a project with very fast support via Github; several of us have been able to improve PyMySQL via pull requests quickly and without issue, and the maintainer even made me a member of the project so I can even commit fixes directly if I wanted. I don't know that Oracle's ownership of MySQL-connector would be comfortable with these things, and the only way to get support is through Oracle's large and cumbersome bug tracker.

Regards

Ronald