The Monasca project currently has three major components written in Java.
Monasca-persister, monasca-thresh, and monasca-api. These components work with
Influxdb 0.9.0 and Vertica 7.1. They integrate with Kafka and MySQL. The
monasca team is currently bringing the Python versions of these components up
to parity with their Java counterparts. This effort is being undertaken because
there seems to be considerable friction in introducing Java components into the
OpenStack community. At this point, Id like to test the waters a bit and
determine what the larger community’s reaction to having these components
remain in Java would be. Would there be a general acceptance or would there be
a visceral rejection? Is the issue more of integration with existing CI/CD
architecture or is there more of a cultural issue?

The arguments for Java are non-trivial. Monasca has requirements for very high
throughput. Furthermore, integration with Kafka is better supported with
Kafka's Java libraries.

We’ve seen that Swift has introduced components in Go. So, this looks like a
precedent for allowing other languages where deemed appropriate. Before we
spend many man-hours hacking on the Python components, it seems reasonable to
determine if there really exists a reason to do so. I’m interested in
soliciting any feedback from the community be it pleasant or unpleasant.

Thanks.

—
Deklan Dieterly
Software Engineer