On 05/28/2015 09:35 AM, Jan Provaznik wrote:
On 05/28/2015 01:10 AM, Steve Baker wrote:
On 28/05/15 10:54, Richard Raseley wrote:
Zane Bitter wrote:

One solution proposed was to do a yum update first but specifically
exclude any packages that Puppet knows about (the --excludes flag
appears sufficient for this); then follow that up with another Puppet
run using ensure -> latest.

My only concern with this approach is how do we collect and maintain the
excludes list. Other than that it sounds reasonable.

Why not swap the order? First run puppet using ensure=>latest which updates/restarts everything Openstack depends on, then run yum/apt update to update any remaining bits. You wouldn't need exclude list then.

Isn't running Puppet with 'ensure => latest' enough? If packaging is correct all dependencies which will require update will be updated together with packages updated by Puppet. Am I missing something or the goal here is to update all packages?

A problem with that approach is that it still fails to restart services
which have had libraries updated but have not themselves been updated.
That's no worse than the pure yum approach though. We might need an
additional way to just manually trigger a restart of services.

Maybe this could be handled at the packaging stage by reving the package
version when there is a known fix in a low-level library, thus
triggering a service restart in the puppet phase.

My concern is that then e.g. libc update would mean repackaging (bumping version) of zillion of other packages, also zillion of packages would be downloaded/upgraded on each system because of a new package version.

I think that providing user a manual (script) way to restart services after update would be sufficient solution (though not so sophisticated).

Jan

Regards,
Martin

--

Martin Mágr
Openstack

IRC nick: mmagr / paramite
Freenode channels: #openstack-dev, #packstack-dev, #puppet-openstack, #rdo,
#rdo-puppet