On 06/04/2015 04:40 PM, Ruby Loo wrote:
Hi,

In Kilo, we introduced microversions but it seems to be a
work-in-progress. There is an effort now to add microversion into the
API-WG's guidelines, to provide a consistent way of using microversions
across OpenStack projects [1]. Specifically, in the context of this
email, there is a proposed guideline for when to bump the microversion [2].

As I understand this guideline tells to bump microversion on every change which I strongly -1 as usual. Reason: it's bump for the sake of bump, without any direct benefit for users (no, API discoverability is not one, because microversion do not solve it).

I'll post the same comment to the guideline.

Last week, in an IRC discussion [3], Devananda suggested that we bump
the microversion in these situations: ' "required for any
non-backwards-compatible change, and strongly encouraged for any
significant features" ? (and yes, that's subjective) '.

What do people think of that? I think it is clear that we should do it
for any non-backwards-compatible change. The subjective part worries me
a bit -- who decides, the feature submitter or the cores or ?

My vote is: if we can proof that a sane user will be broken by the change, we bump the microversion.

Alternatively, if people aren't too worried or care that much, we can
decide to follow the guideline [3] (and limp along until that guideline
is finalized).

--ruby

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-June/065793.html
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/187896/