On 08/06/15 18:22, Jay Pipes wrote:
On 06/05/2015 10:56 AM, Neil Jerram wrote:
I guess that's why the GNU autoconf/configure system has always advised
testing for particular wanted features, instead of looking at versions
and then relying on carnal knowledge to know what those versions imply.

I'm pretty sure you meant "tribal knowledge", not "carnal knowledge" :)

-jay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnal_knowledge

Gosh, that article needs a restricted rating. :-)

You're right that I didn't mean it in that sense! However, I _think_ the phrase is fairly commonly used, at least in the UK, also to mean something more like tribal or insider knowledge.

I hope so, anyway. :-)

Regards,
        Neil