Hello all,

There has been a lot of discussion around Share Migration lately. This
feature has two main code paths:

- Driver Migration: optimized migration of shares from backend A to backend
B where both backends belong to the same driver vendor. The driver is
responsible for migrating and just returns a model update dictionary with
necessary changes to DB entry.

- Generic Migration: This is the universal fallback for migrating a share
from backend A to backend B, from any vendor to any vendor. In order to do
this we have the approach where a machine in the admin network mounts both
shares (source and destination) and copy the files. The problem is that it
has been unusual so far in Manila design for a machine in the admin network
to access shares which are served inside the cloud, a network path must
exist for this to happen.

I was able to code this change for the generic driver in the Share
Migration prototype (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/179791/).

We are not sure if all driver vendors are able to accomplish this. We would
like to ask you to reply to this email if you are not able (or even not
sure) to create a network path from your backend to the admin network so we
can better think on the feasability of this feature.

More information in blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/manila/+spec/share-migration

Regards,
--