Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply, please see inline:

On 06/11/2015 10:36 AM, Matthew Mosesohn wrote:
> Hi Emilien,
>
> I can see why you might be unhappy with Fuel's actions with regards to
> the OpenStack Puppet modules. You could make this argument about many
> components in Fuel. The heart of the matter is that we bundle the
> upstream OpenStack Puppet modules with all the other modules,
> developed both upstream and by Fuel's developers in one single git
> repository. This decision, along with all the other decisions to put
> Fuel's components under its own repositories, was intended to add
> stability and granular control to the product. I'm not saying it's the
> most community-oriented approach, but Fuel would have never evolved
> and matured without it. The attribution in commits is lost because our
> directory namespace differs such that it can't just be merged cleanly.
> Revisiting submodules is an option, but it led to maintenance problems
> in the past.

What kind of problems?
You also could have used forks of modules, applied your patches and done
rebase from time to time when you like.
Using a Puppetfile in your installer and you're all set.
The "maintenance problems" thing does not sound right to me here, I
think it's more expensive to maintain files than git repositories.

> Secondly, I'd like to point out that Fuel is not so different from
> what other teams are doing. At the Summit, I heard from others who all
> maintain internal Gerrits and internal forks of the modules.

True, and most of people are using forks which is totally fine in term
of authorship respect.

> The difference is that Fuel is being worked on in the open in StackForge.
> Anyone is free to contribute to Fuel as he or she wishes, take our
> patches, or review changesets.

Should not it be the way around?
Puppet OpenStack modules provide the original code. If there is a bug,
it has to be fixed in the modules. Puppet OpenStack developers don't
have time/bandwidth and moreover don't want to periodically have a look
at Fuel git history. I'm not sure this is the best solution for the
community.

> Starting in October 2014, the Fuel team has adopted a policy that we
> cannot merge any patches into the core Puppet OpenStack modules of
> Fuel without submitting a patch or at least a bug upstream. Our
> reviewers block patches consistently. The truth is that the upstream
> modules are quite excellent and we don't need to make changes so
> often. Our goal is to work with upstream modules or in the issue where
> upstream integration is impossible, we place that config in our own
> separate modules.

I'm sure you do respect this policy. The reality (and again I won't
blame any patch, you can find them on Gerrit) is that most of patches
are not merged and in staled status. If I can suggest something, the
policy should be more "upstream first" where you submit a patch
upstream, you backport it downstream, and in the until it's merged you
should make sure it land upstream after community review process.
The last step is I think the problem I'm mentioning here and part of the
root cause of this topic.

> The point you raised about fixing bugs in Fuel and not in Puppet
> OpenStack is definitely valid and something we need to collaborate on.
> The first and easiest option when a bug is applicable to both, we
> could use Launchpad to assign bugs to both Fuel project and
> puppet-$project so it gains visibility. If a bug is discovered in
> Puppet OpenStack after it's been reported and/or fixed in Fuel, then
> it would be best to ping someone in #fuel-dev on IRC and we can try to
> figure out how to get this applied upstream correctly. Our best
> results come from fixing upstream and I want to make sure that is
> clear.

Again, I'm not sure this is the right direction. The official channel
for Puppet OpenStack modules is #puppet-openstack and this is the place
to be when you're involved in the Puppet OpenStack community.
I would suggest to rewrite this thing in "if a bug is discovered in
Puppet OpenStack after it's been reported or fixed in Fuel, then folks
(from both groups) should collaborate on Puppet OpenStack official
channel to fix it upstream".
IMHO, Fuel IRC channel should relate to Fuel specific things.

As a example, RDO has #rdo-puppet talking about Puppet OpenStack
downstream (packstack, etc) things and use #puppet-openstack for
upstream related bugs. I think this is the way to go if we want to
improve our collaboration.

> If you have specific bugs or commits you'd like to discuss, let's work
> them out. I believe I can get the Fuel Library team to agree to do a
> walk through all the open bugs in Puppet OpenStack and see if we have
> any related fixes or bug reports.

Like I already said, I won't share any patch/bug because I don't want to
blame anyone here, this is not the goal. Going thru Launchpad and
Gerrit, you'll easily see what I mean.

At this stage, it's pretty clear we still need more discussion.

Emilien Macchi