On 06/15/2015 08:45 PM, Madhuri wrote:
+1 Kevin. We will make Barbican a dependency to make it the default option to secure keys.

Regards,
Madhuri

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Fox, Kevin M <kevin....@pnnl.gov <mailto:kevin....@pnnl.gov>> wrote:

    If your asking the cloud provider to go through the effort to
    install Magnum, its not that much extra effort to install Barbican
    at the same time. Making it a dependency isn't too bad then IMHO.

Please use Certmonger on the the Magnum side, with an understanding that the Barbican team is writing a Certmonger plugin.

Certmonger can do self signed, and can talk to Dogtag if you need a real CA. If we need to talk to other CAs, you write a helper script that Certmonger calls to post the CSR and fetch the signed Cert, but certmonger does the openssl/NSS work to properly mange the signing requests.

    Thanks,
    Kevin
    *From:* Adrian Otto [adrian.o...@rackspace.com
    <mailto:adrian.o...@rackspace.com>]
    *Sent:* Sunday, June 14, 2015 11:09 PM
    *To:* OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
    *Subject:* Re: [openstack-dev] [Magnum] TLS Support in Magnum

    Madhuri,

    On Jun 14, 2015, at 10:30 PM, Madhuri Rai
    <madhuri.ra...@gmail.com <mailto:madhuri.ra...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi All,

    This is to bring the blueprint secure-kubernetes
    <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/+spec/secure-kubernetes>in
    discussion. I have been trying to figure out what could be the
    possible change area to support this feature in Magnum. Below is
    just a rough idea on how to proceed further on it.

    This task can be further broken in smaller pieces.

    *1. Add support for TLS in python-k8sclient.*
    The current auto-generated code doesn't support TLS. So this work
    will be to add TLS support in kubernetes python APIs.

    *2. Add support for Barbican in Magnum.*
    Barbican will be used to store all the keys and certificates.

    Keep in mind that not all clouds will support Barbican yet, so
    this approach could impair adoption of Magnum until Barbican is
    universally supported. It might be worth considering a solution
    that would generate all keys on the client, and copy them to the
    Bay master for communication with other Bay nodes. This is less
    secure than using Barbican, but would allow for use of Magnum
    before Barbican is adopted.

    If both methods were supported, the Barbican method should be the
    default, and we should put warning messages in the config file so
    that when the administrator relaxes the setting to use the
    non-Barbican configuration he/she is made aware that it requires a
    less secure mode of operation.

    My suggestion is to completely implement the Barbican support
    first, and follow up that implementation with a non-Barbican
    option as a second iteration for the feature.

    Another possibility would be for Magnum to use its own private
    installation of Barbican in cases where it is not available in the
    service catalog. I dislike this option because it creates an
    operational burden for maintaining the private Barbican service,
    and additional complexities with securing it.

    *3. Add support of TLS in Magnum.*
    This work mainly involves supporting the use of key and
    certificates in magnum to support TLS.

    The user generates the keys, certificates and store them in
    Barbican. Now there is two way to access these keys while
    creating a bay.

    Rather than "the user generates the keys…", perhaps it might be
    better to word that as "the magnum client library code generates
    the keys for the user…”.

    1. Heat will access Barbican directly.
    While creating bay, the user will provide this key and heat
    templates will fetch this key from Barbican.

    I think you mean that Heat will use the Barbican key to fetch the
    TLS key for accessing the native API service running on the Bay.

    2. Magnum-conductor access Barbican.
    While creating bay, the user will provide this key and then
    Magnum-conductor will fetch this key from Barbican and provide
    this key to heat.

    Then heat will copy this files on kubernetes master node. Then
    bay will use this key to start a Kubernetes services signed with
    these keys.

    Make sure that the Barbican keys used by Heat and magnum-conductor
    to store the various TLS certificates/keys are unique per tenant
    and per bay, and are not shared among multiple tenants. We don’t
    want it to ever be possible to trick Magnum into revealing secrets
    belonging to other tenants.

    After discussion when we all come to same point, I will create
    separate blueprints for each task.
    I am currently working on configuring Kubernetes services with
    TLS keys.

    Please provide your suggestions if any.

    Thanks for kicking off this discussion.

    Regards,