Jeff,

Here's a good starting point for helping with Nova:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-low-hanging-fruit

I got my start with a tiny python library named oslo.config, we'd
welcome help with any of the ongoing or new work in oslo:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oslo

the channels are #openstack-nova and #openstack-oslo respectively,
just following along discussions has helped me tremendously when i got
started.

Yes, Victor is leading python3 work (fixing tests) for nova and i am
helping as well, so you could jump in there as well
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/nova+status:open+topic:%255E.*python3.*,n,z

Hope this helps,
-- dims