Hi everyone,

Following the discussion on the idea of abandoning synchronized,
time-based stable branch point releases (which got nice coverage at
http://lwn.net/Articles/647638/), here is the plan the stable
maintenance team came up with:

1. We'll continue doing point releases for Juno and Kilo stable branches

The stable/juno and stable/kilo branches of the projects that were part
of the Juno and Kilo "integrated release" will still be tagged the old
way (synchronized time-based tagging over a closed set of projects) over
the coming year. The proposed schedule is as follows:

Juno 2014.2.3  (was done June 19 by apevec)
Kilo 2015.1.1  early July, 2015, release manager: apevec
Kilo 2015.1.2  mid-September, 2015, release manager: zulcss
Juno 2014.2.4  (eol) early November, 2015. release manager: apevec
Kilo 2015.1.3  (eol) end of January, 2016, release manager: Daviey

2. Enable continuous stable branch delivery during this cycle

Over the coming months, we'll formalize how to generate .Z increments to
the X.Y.Z liberty-style version for every commit to the future
stable/liberty branches. This will result in every commit to every
stable branch to be micro-released.

We'll also set up a way to dynamically generate release notes from the
content of the branch, likely by storing release note snippets in the
branch itself.

3. Switch to .Z micro-releases starting with stable/liberty

Assuming the tooling is ready, we'll switch to micro-releasing when we
open the stable branch to stable maintenance after the Liberty final
release date on October 15.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)