On 07/24/2015 08:17 AM, Miyagishi, Takanori wrote:
Dear Carl,

Thank you for your information!

I checked the etherpad, and I propose a new idea of Distributed SNAT
implementation.
Following figure is my idea, "Shared SNAT Address per Tenant per Compute Node".

I think this is the "One IP Address per Router per Host" item in the etherpad since each distributed router will consume one IP.

   +---+---+------------------------------------------+
   |   |eth|               TenantA : TenantB          |
   |   +-+-+                       :  external-network|
   |     |                         :      10.0.0.0/24 |
   | ----+----------+--------------------+----------- |
   |                |              :     |            |
   |                |10.0.0.100    :     |10.0.0.101  |
   |    +---+ +-----+-----+ +---+  :  +--+---+ +---+  |      +------------+
   |    | R | |   SNAT    | | R |  :  | SNAT | | R |  |      |            |
   |    +-+-+ +-+-------+-+ +-+-+  :  +--+---+ +-+-+  |  ... |            |
   |      |     |       |     |    :     |       |    |      |            |
   |      |     |       |     |    :     |       |    |      +------------+
   |   ---+--+--+--   --+--+--+--- :  ---+---+------- |      Compute Node N
   |         |             |       :         |        |
   |      +--+--+       +--+--+    :      +--+--+     |
   |      | VM1 |       | VM2 |    :      | VM3 |     |
   |      +-----+       +-----+    :      +-----+     |
                   Compute Node 1

    * R = Router

This picture doesn't look right, there should only be one Router for TenantA even with two VMs on a compute node. You can verify this by looking at how many qrouter namespaces are created, but I only see one on my system.

In this idea, SNAT will be created for each tenant.
So, IP consumption of this case is:
  [number of tenant] * [number of compute node]

Therefore, this idea can be reduction in IP consumption than create per router
per compute node.

This is a huge increase in IP consumption from today though, which is only [number of tenants], I'm not sure most deployers have [tenants * compute nodes] IPs at their disposal. And in the worst-case this becomes "Assign a Floating IP to all VMs".

-Brian

And, can be avoid security concerns because don't share SNAT between tenant.

I'd like to implement SNAT for Liberty cycle with this idea.

Best regards,
Takanori Miyagishi