On 28/07/15 09:15 +0000, Kuvaja, Erno wrote:
I do agree, we don’t depend or are cleaning the other clients out of the glance
dependencies as well and I think swift should not be there either.

The default store is filesystem store and if something is depending on the
actual store clients it should be either glance_store or deployer (well for
example our gate) glance itself should not have hard dependencies for ‘em.

Agreed!

William, would it be possible for you to spend some more time and
create a single patch that removes all non-required dependencies?

Cheers,
Flavio

-          Erno

From: William M Edmonds [mailto:edmon...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 10:42 PM
To: openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org
Subject: [openstack-dev] [glance] Removing python-swiftclient from
requirements.txt

python-swiftclient is only needed by operators that are using the swift
backend, so it really doesn't belong in requirements.txt. Listing it in
requirements forces all operators to install it, even if they're not going to
use the swift backend. When I proposed a change [1] to move this from
requirements to test-requirements (would still be needed there because of tests
using the swift backend), others raised concerns about the impact this could
have on operators who use the swift backend today and would be upgrading to
Liberty. I believe everyone agreed this should not be in requirements, but the
fact is that it has been, so operators may have (incorrectly) been depending on
that during upgrades. If we remove it in Liberty, and there are changes in
Liberty that require a newer version of swiftclient, how would those operators
know that they need to upgrade swiftclient?

The optional dependencies spec [2] could definitely help here. I don't think we
should have to wait for that, though. This is an issue we obviously already
have today for other backends, which indicates folks can deal with it without
an optional dependencies implementation.

This would be a new concern for operators using the default swift backend,
though. So how do we get the message out to those operators? And do we need to
put out a message about this change in Liberty and then wait until Mitaka to
actually remove this, or can we go ahead and remove in Liberty?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/203242
[2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/liberty/
optional-deps.html

-Matthew