Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out. I would be interested in joint sessions on
Monasca and Ceilometer at the Tokyo Summit. We had a joint
Ceilometer/Monasca session at the Paris Design Summit and had identified
several areas to work on together. It has been a while since we've sync'd
up though. We should probably get together prior to the Tokyo Summit to
plan further.

The work that you are doing to split-out components is very interesting to
the Monasca project. We were really interested in the direction that this
was headed. As you mention, the Ceilometer data collection pipeline is
extremely interesting to Monasca. The work that we've been doing around
what we refer to as Ceilosca, is where we see immediate utilization. I
think you were at the session in Vancouver where some folks mentioned the
possibility of using the Ceilometer data collection pipeline to send to
Monasca, and that aligns with our thoughts too.

Although the Monasca Agent supports collecting a lot of different metrics,
the one area that it needs additional capabilities is collecting metrics
and events for OpenStack resources. The Monasca Agent supports collecting
metrics for instances/Vms, but we would like to add support for the rest
of the OpenStack resources and don't want to re-create this in our Agent.
Currently, we've been addressing this problem via a Ceilometer to Monasca
publisher in the repo at, https://github.com/stackforge/monasca-ceilometer.

The alarm system, called Aodh, is also potentially interesting. Monasca
also has a alarm/threshold engine that is an in-memory streaming alarm
engine based on Apache Storm. Everything in Monasca has been ported to
Python, except for the Monasca Threshold Engine. As Aodh is written in
Python already, maybe it could be a drop in Python replacement for our
existing Threshold Engine as we would like to get the remaining component
moved over to Python.

It sounds like we should connect up soon. I could attend a Ceilometer
meeting, or you could attend the Monasca meeting which is held Tuesday
mornings at 9:00 MST.

Regards --Roland