On 08/28/2015 08:32 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
On Fri, Aug 28 2015, Chris Dent wrote:

This morning I kicked off a quick spec for replacing WSME in
Ceilometer with ... something:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218155/

This is because not only is WSME not that great, it also results in
controller code that is inscrutable.

The problem with the spec is that it doesn't know what to replace
WSME with.

So, for your Friday afternoon pleasure I invite anyone with an
opinion to hold forth on what framework they would choose. The spec
lists a few options but please feel to not limit yourself to those.

If you just want to shoot the breeze please respond here. If you
have specific comments on the spec please response there.

For Gnocchi we've been relying on voluptuous¹ for data validation, and
Pecan as the rest of the framework – like what's used in Ceilometer and
consors.

I find it a pretty good option, more Pythonic than JSON Schema – which
has its pros and cons too.

What I'm not happy with is actually Pecan, as I find the routing system
way too much complex in the end. I think I'd prefer to go with something
like Flask finally.

One more thing from my previous things - this exists:

https://github.com/rantav/flask-restful-swagger

The docs team has been working on getting a bunch of swagger stuff going. This might be (needs real investigation) a nice way of complimenting that work - and is also looking for adoption. So one could imagine a future where we took that direction and OpenStack offered to adopt the module.

Just a thought - my opinion should be considered useless.

P.S: An option not listed, and one that may make perfect sense for
ceilometer (but perhaps not aodh), is to do nothing and consider the
v2 api "legacy".

This is going to happen in a few cycles I hope for Ceilometer.

¹  https://pypi.python.org/pypi/voluptuous