Excerpts from Kuvaja, Erno's message of 2015-09-15 09:43:26 +0000:

OK. I'm concerned that my message of "we need an interoperable image
upload API" is sometimes being met with various versions of "that's not
possible." I think that's wrong, and we should fix it. I also think it's
possible to make the API consistent and still support background tasks,
image scanning, and other things deployers want.

> <CLIP>

> > API.

> > to be able to use the service.
> > >
> > > I'd like to bring another argument here. I think our Public Images API
> > > should
> > behave consistently regardless if there is tasks enabled in the deployment
> > or
> > not and with what plugins. This meaning that _if_ we expect glance upload
> > work over the POST API and that endpoint is available in the deployment I
> > would expect a) my image hash to match with the one the cloud returns b)
> > I'd assume all or none of the clouds rejecting my image if it gets flagged
> > by
> > Vendor X virus definitions and c) it being bootable across the clouds taken
> > it's
> > in supported format. On the other hand if I get told by the vendor that I
> > need
> > to use cloud specific task that accepts only ova compliant image packages
> > and
> > that the image will be checked before acceptance, my expectations are quite
> > different and I would expect all that happening outside of the standard API
> > as it's not consistent behavior.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're arguing. Is it not possible to have a background
> > process import an image without modifying it?
>
> Absolutely not my point, sorry. What I was trying to say here is that I
> rather have multiple ways of getting images into cloud I use if that means I
> can predict exactly how those different ways behaves on each deployment that
> has them enabled. My thought of tasks has been more on the processing side
> than just different way to do upload. So I have been in understanding that
> the intention behind tasks were to provide extra functionality like
> introspection, conversion, ova-import (which is under work currently), many
> of that would be beneficial for the end user of the cloud, but happening to
> your image as side effect of image upload without you knowing or able to
> avoid it, not so desirable state.

Ah, yes. But most people don't care about how all of the internals work.
They just want to upload an image, and they don't want to have to learn
15 different ways to do it. As I've said, a pull API that uses a
background task to import the image is fine, as long as the inputs and
outputs of the API itself are the same all the time. It's also fine to
have deployers add background steps, to some extent. If the API works
and a deployer's background job breaks my image, I'll be upset, but as a
user I can point directly to them in that case. If the APIs are
different everywhere, I'm not even sure where to start.

Doug