On 17/09/15 19:38, Kevin Benton wrote:
> router:external only affects the behavior of Neutron routers. It
> allows them to attach to it with an external gateway interface which
> implies NAT and floating IPs.

I presume you're talking about the reference implementation here.  OK,
but my concern first is about what it _means_, in particular for
instances attached to such a network.  Which your next paragraph addresses:

> From an instance's perspective, an external network would be no
> different than any other provider network scenario that uses a
> non-Neutron router. Nothing different happens with the routing of
> traffic.

Right, thanks.  It seems to me that you're saying the same thing here as
my (b) below.  In case not, please do say more precisely what isn't
correct about my (b) statement.

> >Also I believe that (c) is already true for Neutron external networks
> - i.e. it doesn't make sense to assign a floating IP to an instance
> that is directly on an external network.  Is that correct?
>
> Well not floating IPs from the same external network, but you could
> conceivably have layers where one external network has an internal
> Neutron router interface that leads to another external network via a
> Neutron router.

Agreed.

Many thanks for your input in this thread!

Regards,
    Neil