From: Ihar Hrachyshka [ihrac...@redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2015 7:44 AM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Cc: bap...@us.ibm.com
Subject: [openstack-dev] [all] -1 due to line length violation in commit
messages

Hi all,

releases are approaching, so it’s the right time to start some bike shedding on
the mailing list.

Recently I got pointed out several times [1][2] that I violate our commit
message requirement [3] for the message lines that says: "Subsequent lines
should be wrapped at 72 characters.”

I agree that very long commit message lines can be bad, f.e. if they are 200+
chars. But <= 79 chars?.. Don’t think so. Especially since we have 79 chars
limit for the code.

We had a check for the line lengths in openstack-dev/hacking before but it was
killed [4] as per openstack-dev@ discussion [5].

I believe commit message lines of <=80 chars are absolutely fine and should not
get -1 treatment. I propose to raise the limit for the guideline on wiki
accordingly.

Comments?

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224728/6//COMMIT_MSG
[2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/227319/2//COMMIT_MSG