> On 01 Oct 2015, at 15:45, Ihar Hrachyshka <ihrac...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I talked recently with several contributors about what each of us plans for
> the next cycle, and found it’s quite useful to share thoughts with others,
> because you have immediate yay/nay feedback, and maybe find companions for
> next adventures, and what not. So I’ve decided to ask everyone what you see
> the team and you personally doing the next cycle, for fun or profit.
>
> That’s like a PTL nomination letter, but open to everyone! :) No commitments,
> no deadlines, just list random ideas you have in mind or in your todo lists,
> and we’ll all appreciate the huge pile of awesomeness no one will ever have
> time to implement even if scheduled for Xixao release.
>
> To start the fun, I will share my silly ideas in the next email.

Here is my silly list of stuff to do.

- start adopting NeutronDbObject for core resources (ports, networks) [till
now, it’s used in QoS only];

- introduce a so called ‘core resource extender manager’ that would be able to
replace ml2 extension mechanism and become a plugin agnostic way of extending
core resources by additional plugins (think of port security or qos available
for ml2 only - that sucks!);

- more changes with less infra tinkering! neutron devs should not need to go to
infra projects so often to make an impact;
-- make our little neat devstack plugin used for qos and sr-iov only a huge
pile of bash code that is currently stored in devstack and is proudly called
neutron-legacy now; and make the latter obsolete and eventually removed from
devstack;
-- make tempest jobs use a gate hook as we already do for api jobs;

- qos:
-- once we have gate hook triggered, finally introduce qos into tempest runs to
allow first qos scenarios merged;
-- remove RPC upgrade tech debt that we left in L (that should open path for
new QoS rules that are currently blocked by it);
-- look into races in rpc.callbacks notification pattern (Kevin mentioned he
had ideas in mind around that);

- oslo:
-- kill the incubator: we have a single module consumed from there (cache);
Mitaka is the time for the witch to die in pain;
-- adopt oslo.reports: that is something I failed to do in Liberty so that I
would have a great chance to do the same in Mitaka; basically, allow neutron
services to dump ‘useful info’ on SIGUSR2 sent; hopefully will make debugging a
bit easier;

- upgrades:
-- we should return to partial job for neutron; it’s not ok our upgrade
strategy works by pure luck;
-- overall, I feel that it’s needed to provide more details about how upgrades
are expected to work in OpenStack (the order of service upgrades; constraints;
managing RPC versions and deprecations; etc.) Probably devref should be a good
start. I talked to some nova folks involved in upgrades there, and we may join
the armies on that since general upgrade strategy should be similar throughout
the meta-project.

- stable:
-- with a stadium of the size we have, it becomes a burden for
neutron-stable-maint to track backports for all projects; we should think of
opening doors for more per-sub-project stable cores for those subprojects that
seem sane in terms of development practices and stable awareness side; that way
we offload neutron-stable-maint folks for stuff with greater impact (aka stuff
they actually know).

And what are you folks thinking of?

Ihar