On 10/06/2015 11:27 AM, Paul Carlton wrote:

On 06/10/15 17:30, Chris Friesen wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 02:54:21PM +0100, Paul Carlton wrote:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/85048/ was raised to address the
migration of instances that are not running but people did not warm to
the idea of bringing a stopped/suspended instance to a paused state to
migrate it.  Is there any work in progress to get libvirt enhanced to
perform the migration of non active virtual machines?

Libvirt can "migrate" the configuration of an inactive VM, but does
not plan todo anything related to storage migration. OpenStack could
already solve this itself by using libvirt storage pool APIs to
copy storage volumes across, but the storage pool worked in Nova
is stalled

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:abandoned+project:openstack/nova+branch:master+topic:bp/use-libvirt-storage-pools,n,z

What is the libvirt API to migrate a paused/suspended VM? Currently nova uses
dom.managedSave(), so it doesn't know what file libvirt used to save the
state.  Can libvirt migrate that file transparently?

I had thought we might switch to virDomainSave() and then use the cold
migration framework, but that requires passwordless ssh.  If there's a way to
get libvirt to handle it internally via the storage pool API then that would
be better.

So my reading of this is the issue could be addressed in Mitaka by
implementing
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/approved/use-libvirt-storage-pools.html

and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126979/4/specs/kilo/approved/migrate-libvirt-volumes.rst

is there any prospect of this being progressed?

Paul, that would avoid the need for cold migrations to use passwordless ssh between nodes. However, I think there may be additional work to handle migrating paused/suspended instances--still waiting for Daniel to address that bit.

Chris