Along this line, thinks like the following are likely more changeable (and my guess is operators would want to change them when things start going badly), for example from a nova.conf that I have laying around...

[DEFAULT]

rabbit_hosts=...
rpc_response_timeout=...
default_notification_level=...
default_log_levels=...

[glance]

api_servers=...

(and more)

Some of those I think should have higher priority as being reconfigurable, but I think operators should be asked what they think would be useful and prioritize those.

Some of those really are service discovery 'types' (rabbit_hosts, glance/api_servers, keystone/api_servers) but fixing this is likely a longer term goal (see conversations in keystone).

Joshua Harlow wrote:
gord chung wrote:
we actually had a solution implemented in Ceilometer to handle this[1].

that said, based on the results of our survey[2], we found that most
operators *never* update configuration files after the initial setup and
if they did it was very rarely (monthly updates). the question related
to Ceilometer and its pipeline configuration file so the results might
be specific to Ceilometer. I think you should definitely query operators
before undertaking any work. the last thing you want to do is implement
a feature no one really needs/wants.

[1]
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/liberty/reload-file-based-pipeline-configuration.html

[2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-September/075628.html

So my general though on the above is yes, definitely consult operators
to see if they would use this, although if a feature doesn't exist and
has never existed (say outside of ceilometer) then it's sort of hard to
get an accurate survey result from a group of people that have never had
the feature in the first place... Either way it should be done, just to
get more knowledge...

I know operators (at yahoo!) want to be able to dynamically change the
logging level, and that's not a monthly task, but more of an 'as-needed'
one that would be very helpful when things start going badly... So
perhaps the set of reloadable configuration should start out small and
not encompass all the things...