On 4 November 2015 at 13:21, Shraddha Pandhe <spandhe.openst...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Salvatore,
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you that arbitrary JSON blobs will
> make IPAM much more powerful. Some other projects already do things like
> this.
>
> e.g. In Ironic, node has driver_info, which is JSON. it also has an
> 'extras' arbitrary JSON field. This allows us to put any information in
> there that we think is important for us.

I personally feel that relying on json blobs is not only dangerously
affecting portability, but it causes us to bloat the business logic, and
forcing us to be doing less efficient when querying/filtering data.

Most importantly though, I feel it's like abdicating our responsibility to
do a good design job. Ultimately, we should be able to identify how to
model these extensions you're thinking of both conceptually and logically.

I couldn't care less if other projects use it, but we ended up using in
Neutron too, and since I lost this battle time and time again, all I am
left with is this rant :)