Here are my rough notes I wrote up about the Mitaka design summit, and
what designate covered during the week.

Design Summit
=============

This was a much more relaxed summit for Designate. We had done a huge
amount of
work in Vancouver, and we were nailing down details and doing cross
project work.

We got a few major features discussed, and laid out our priorities for
the next cycle.

We decided on the following:

1. Nova / Neutron Integration
2. Pool Scheduler
3. Pool Configuration migration to database
4. IXFR (Incremental Zone Transfer)
5. ALIAS Record type (Allows for CNAME like records at the root of a DNS
Zone)
6. DNSSEC (this may drag on for a cycle or two)

Nova & Neutron Integration
--------------------------

This is progressing pretty well, and Miguel Lavalle has patches up for
this. He,
Kiall Mac Innes and Carl Baldwin demoed this in a session on the
Thursday. If
you are interested in the idea, it is definitely worth a watch `here`_

Pool Scheduler
--------------

A vital piece of the pools re architecture that needs to be finished out.
There is no great debate on what we need, and I have taken on the task of
finishing this out.

Pool Configuration migration to database

Are current configuration file format is quite complex, and moving it to
an API
allows us to iterate on it much quicker, while reducing the complexity
of the
config file. I recently had to write an ansible play to write out this
file, and
it was not fun.

Kiall had a patch up, so we should be able to continue based on that.

IXFR
----

There was quite a lot of discussion on how this will be implemented,
both in the
work session, and the 1/2 day session on the Friday. Tim Simmons has
stepped up,
to continue the work on this.

ALIAS
-----

This is quite a sort after feature - but is quite complex to implement.
The DNS RFCs explicitly ban this behavior, so we have to work the solution
around them. Eric Larson has been doing quite a lot of work on this in
Liberty,
and is going to continue in Mitaka.

DNSSEC
------

This is a feature that we have been looking at for a while, but we
started to plan
out our roadmap for it recently.

We (I) am allergic to storing private encryption keys in Designate, so
we had a
good conversation with Barbican about implementing a signing endpoint
that we would
post a hash to. This work is on me to now drive for Mitaka, so we can
consume it in N.

There is some raw notes in the `etherpad`_ and I expect we will soon be
seeing
specs building out of them.

.. _etherpad:
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mitaka-designate-summit-roadmap