On 10/29/2015 08:42 AM, Clark, Robert Graham wrote:
> It sounds like what you probably need is a lightweight CA, without
> revocation, that gives you some basic constraints by which you can restrict
> certificate issuance to just your ansible tasks and that could potentially be
> thrown away when it’s no longer required. Particularly something light enough
> that it could live on any deployment/installer node.
>
> This sounds like it _might_ be a good fit for Anchor[1], though possibly not
> if I’ve misunderstood your use-case.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Security#Anchor_-_Ephemeral_PKI

Thanks, Robert.  After talking a bit in the last OpenStack Security IRC meeting
and doing a deep dive into Anchor, I'm not sure I'm looking for a CA that
issues ephemeral certificates.

For example, issuing ephemeral certificates for RabbitMQ or MySQL would involve
frequent restarts of each service to apply new certificates on a regular basis
(if I'm understanding Anchor correctly).  I could see how this wouldn't be a
big issue on a web/API front-end, like horizon, but it would definitely cause
some disruptions for services that are slower to start, like RabbitMQ and MySQL.

I found a CA role[1] for Ansible on Galaxy, but it appears to be GPLv3 code. :/

Another suggestion was to use Letsencrypt, but it's in a limited access period
at the moment.  It also supplies ephemeral certs, as Anchor does.

The dogtag service looks interesting, but it has quite a few dependencies that
may be a bit heavy resource-wise within the average openstack-ansible
environment.

I'm still on the hunt for a good solution but I appreciate the input so far!

[1] https://github.com/debops/ansible-pki

--
Major Hayden