From: Paul Carver [mailto:pcar...@paulcarver.us]
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 1:07 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][qos][fwaas] service groups vs. traffic
classifiers

On 11/10/2015 8:30 AM, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 07:58:34AM EST, Jay Pipes wrote:
>
>> 2) Keep the security-group API as-is to keep outward compatibility with AWS.
>> Create a single, new service-groups and service-group-rules API for
>> L2 to L7 traffic classification using mostly the modeling that Sean has put
>> together.
>> Remove the networking-sfc repo and obselete the classifier spec. Not
>> sure what should/would happen to the FWaaS API, frankly.
>
> As to the REST-ful API for creating classifiers, I don't know if it
> should reside in the networking-sfc project. It's a big enough piece
> that it will most likely need to be its own endpoint and repo, and
> have stakeholders from other projects, not just networking-sfc. That
> will take time and quite a bit of wrangling, so I'd like to defer that
> for a bit and just work on all the services having the same data
> model, where we can make changes quickly, since they are not visible
> to API consumers.

I agree that the service classifier API should NOT reside in the networking-sfc
project, but I don't understand why Jay suggests removing the networking-sfc
repo. The classifier specified by networking-sfc is needed only because there
isn't a pre-existing classifier API. As soon as we can converge on a common
classifier API I am completely in favor of using it in place of the one in the
networking-sfc repo, but SFC is more than just classifying traffic. We need a
classifier in order to determine which traffic to redirect, but we also need
the API to specify how to redirect the traffic that has been identified by
classifiers.