Just a quick note to say thank you to Robert, who helped me through my troubles on #openstack-dev. Robert, you rock. Thanks much!

FWIW, the problem was indeed a bad version of virtualenv (the old Ubuntu one), and this is what I needed to do to resolve the issue:

sudo apt-get remove -y python3-virtualenv python3-pip python3-tox
wget https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py
sudo -H python3 get-pip.py
sudo -H python3 -m pip install virtualenv
sudo -H python3 -m pip install tox

Best,
-jay